State schools

Threats, violence and shootings afflict schools in Washington State

Capital High School was placed in receivership on Tuesday after a “…third-party report that a student from outside the Olympia area was going to bring a weapon onto campus today.” According to the school, this individual was not on campus and authorities are investigating.

Another Washington state school was taken into custody on Monday following a threat of violence. This followed a week of threats and violence at other schools in the state. The office of Chris Reykdal, superintendent of Washington public schools, declined a request for an interview regarding ongoing safety issues at schools in the state.

North Creek High School in the Northshore District was placed under quarantine on Monday morning “…out of an abundance of caution due to a written message threatening school violence,” according to an email obtained by The Ari Hoffman Show on 570 KVI.

The lockdown was later lifted after authorities ruled there was no credible threat. On Friday, the school was placed in “safe interior” mode “…due to a threat discovered on social media”.

Law enforcement and district safety and security personnel had to be sent to the school in both cases as police, known as school resource officers, were kicked off campus after the death of George Floyd. In communications with school officials, Lisa Youngblood Hall, The director of communications and experience declined to answer when asked if the school or the district was considering bringing the officers back to campus full-time.

On Tuesday, November 30, the administration of Bothell High School became aware of graffiti threatening violence against the school. An investigation was opened to identify the source of the message and determine if it was a credible threat.

Later in the afternoon, further advice led to a possible bomb threat against Bothell High posted on social media. Following the new threat, several law enforcement agencies evacuated the campus and conducted a sweep, which revealed no evidence of a weapon or incendiary device. The Bothell High campus was closed on Thursday, December 2 out of an abundance of caution. The school reopened on Friday 3 December.

Also on Thursday there was another rumor of a threat to Inglemoor Secondary School and the school was placed on ‘safe inside’ status as a precaution. Again, it was determined that there was no credible threat.

Also on Thursday, a student at Explorer Middle School in the Mukilteo School District claimed to have received a text message from an unknown number regarding a bomb threat at the school.

According to KOMO News, Mariner High School and Voyager Middle School have also been threatened on social media. The Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office said deputies were able to find out who posted the threat on social media and arrested a 14-year-old suspect who now faces six felony charges.

The threats came just days after 15-year-old Ethan Crumbley allegedly opened fire on his high school in Oxford, Michigan, killing four and injuring seven.

Earlier this month, a student allegedly threatened to be shot at Timberline High School by a student during a conversation with peers. According to the Lacey, WA Police Department, the student did not have access to weapons. After being questioned by a school resource officer, the student admitted to “…playing a misguided joke on other students about what he would do if he became a school shooter, but claimed he didn’t. no intention to shoot anyone and did not threaten to do so.”

The department added that the student was referred to the Thurston County District Attorney’s Office for charges related to the incident.

According to a statement from North Thurston Public Schools, “Due to student privacy laws, we cannot comment on specific disciplinary action, but in this case, I can assure you that disciplinary action has been taken and that the district is continuing its investigation.”

According to the parents of the school, the student has been suspended indefinitely.

KIRO 7 reported that charges have been dismissed for a 13-year-old Snohomish County teenager who falsely accused a classmate of threatening to shoot at a school.

According to the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office, on December 2, deputies responded to a report that a student received a phone call from a blocked number saying there would be a shooting at Hidden River Middle School, the the following day. The 13-year-old claimed he got the call from a specific classmate that he was going to ‘…shoot the school’.

Deputies obtained phone records from the 13-year-old and the accused classmate and discovered that the 13-year-old had received no incoming phone calls that day from an unknown number and that the classmate accused had made no phone calls to the 13-year-old, nor made any kind of threat to the school or his classmates.

Charges were dismissed for the teenager for misrepresentation.

Last Thursday at Garfield High School in Seattle, witnesses heard gunshots and saw teenagers fleeing the scene. Officers found two sets of casings on campus and evidence of at least three dozen shots, including gunshot damage to a nearby home and two vehicles. Currently, authorities suspect that at least two people exchanged gunfire. The school has entered a “shelter-in-place protocol”.

In October, several students at Ingraham High School in Seattle said they were threatened on campus by two people with an AR-15.

According to the relative, his son saw a girl in the passenger seat of a car that drove to campus, which loaded a magazine into an AR-15. He said the girl and a driver were yelling at four students returning from lunch.

Her son said the girl passed the gun to the driver, who then pointed it at the students, who then threatened the children saying he was going to kill them.

Another parent said The post-millennium that the parents of some of the threatened students had no idea about the whole incident until the Ingraham principal sent a letter to the families nearly 24 hours after the incident, after several parents asked what had happened.

On Sunday, Whitman Middle School and Ingraham High School in Seattle both received threats against the institutions. According to an email obtained by The post-millennium Whitman received the threat in an anonymous social media post. According to the school, “staff will be present in the morning to welcome our students”, but no mention of the police.

Parents were quick to point out that the school had to call 911 in these incidents because there were no officers on campus. Following the death of George Floyd, Seattle Public Schools have banned police from campuses who had previously served as “school resource officers” to guard students.

Seattle Public Schools have faced the fallout of their choice to ban officers from schools since the decision was made. At Broadview-Thompson K-8 School, an encampment of violent homeless people was allowed to remain on the grounds by the school board for a year and a half.

Crime has exploded in the area. The school has been forced into lockdown on several occasions, including when an unknown person entered the building and spotted a gun in the encampment. Broadview-Thompson was forced to hire private security services due to the district’s decision to ban the police.

Enrollment plummeted at the school as well as in other public school districts in the state. Seattle Public Schools is also seeing a drastic drop in enrollment as parents withdraw their children due to the radical curriculum being taught, substandard education, lack of campus safety, people fleeing the city, opposition to mask mandates, and more.

A parent from Ingraham told KOMO, “Upon learning that children are on the property with firearms, I want to get my child out of this area as quickly as possible.”