LEXINGTON, Ky. (WTVQ) – U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona on Tuesday recognized 325 schools as Blue Ribbon National Schools for 2021, including Rosa Parks Elementary in Lexington and six other Kentucky schools.
Recognition is based on a school’s overall academic performance or progress in closing achievement gaps between subgroups of students.
Cardona made the announcement during his Back to School Road Trip, while visiting an award-winning school, Walter R. Sundling Jr. High School, in Palatine, Illinois.
Kentucky schools named National Blue Ribbon Schools were:
- Anchorage – Anchorage Public School, Anchorage Independent School District.
- Erlanger – Saint Henry District Secondary School, Diocese of Covington.
- Fort Mitchell – Blessed Sacrament Elementary School, Diocese of Covington.
- Gamaliel – Gamaliel Elementary School, Monroe County School District.
- Lexington – Rosa Parks Elementary School, Fayette County School District.
- Louisville – Greathouse Shryock Traditional School, Jefferson County School District.
- West Paducah – Heath Elementary School, McCracken County School District.
“This year’s cohort of winners demonstrates what is possible when engaged educators and school leaders create vibrant, welcoming, and assertive school cultures where rich teaching and learning can flourish,” said Secretary Cardona. . “I congratulate all of our Blue Ribbon winners for working to ensure the health and safety of students while meeting their academic, social, emotional and mental health needs. In the face of unprecedented circumstances, you have found creative ways to engage, care for, protect and teach our children. Blue Ribbon schools have so much to offer and can serve as a model for other schools and communities so that we can truly build back better.
The coveted National Blue Ribbon Schools award recognizes the hard work of educators, families, and communities in creating safe and welcoming schools where students master stimulating and engaging content. Now in its 39th year, the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program has awarded approximately 10,000 awards to more than 9,000 schools.
The Department recognizes all schools in one of two performance categories, based on scores for all students, scores for student subgroups, and graduation rates:
- Exemplary and successful schools are among the top performing schools in their state, as measured by state assessments or nationally standardized tests.
- Exemplary Schools in Reducing Achievement Gaps are among the top performing schools in their state at closing achievement gaps between groups of students in a school and all students.
Up to 420 schools can be nominated each year.
The Department invites nominations from National Blue Ribbon Schools to the highest education official from all states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Department of Defense Educational Activity, and of the Indian Bureau of Education. Private schools are named by the Council for American Private Education.