On the one hand, obtaining a diploma University of Texas at Dallas Where University of North Texas is one of the smartest moves in the Lone Star State.
In its eighth annual ranking of colleges and universities that give students the best return on their educational investment, personal finance website SmartAsset places UT Dallas (at Richardson) at No. 3 in Texas and No. 71 in the United States. . It ranks the University of North Texas (at Denton) No. 9 in Texas and No. 164 in the United States
They were the only two North Texas schools to make the Texas top 10.
Rice University in Houston ranks #1 in Texas and #10 in the United States, and it was the only school in Texas to enter the top 10 nationally.
To determine the best value colleges and universities in each state, SmartAsset analyzed data in these categories: scholarships and grants, new grad starting salary, tuition, living expenses, and retention rates.
At UT Dallas, the numbers break down as follows:
- Tuition fees: $13,034
- Cost of student living: $16,252
- Average scholarships and grants: $12,033
- Average starting salary after graduation: $63,100
- Student retention rate: 90%
And at the UNT, here is the breakdown:
- Tuition: $10,852
- Cost of student life: $13,860
- Medium scholarships and grants: $8,857
- Average starting salary after graduation: $54,200
- Student retention rate: 85%
Compare those numbers to top-ranked Rice: While tuition ($47,350) and student living expenses ($17,800) at Rice are the highest among the top 10 Texas schools on the list, the average amount of scholarships and grants ($43,615), average starting salary ($77,900) and retention rate (97%) are also among the highest.
According to Rice, tuition, fees, on-campus room and board, books, and personal expenses for the 2022-23 academic year total $74,110. This figure, which excludes financial aid, applies to a full-time degree-seeking student living on campus.
Other Texas schools in the state’s top 10 are:
- University of Texas at Austin, No. 2.
- Prairie View A&M University, No. 4.
- University of Houston, No. 5.
- Texas A&M University-College Station, No. 6.
- Texas Tech University at Lubbock, No. 7.
- LeTourneau University at Longview, No. 8.
- Texas State University at San Marcos, No. 10.